Published On:
By Staff Reporter : PNG Today

CQ Capras down PNG Hunters 27 - 20

THE Papua New Guinea Hunters suffered their third loss of the 2016 season going down to the Central Queensland Capras 27-20 in their Round 11 game yesterday.
Prior to the match Hunters coach Michael Marum was forced into making a change with star winger and Melbourne Storm recruit Justin Olam pulling out sick with dengue fever last Friday.
Olam was to have stayed on in Brisbane after the Capras game for medical tests with Storm officials as part of his National Rugby League contractual requirement however it has now been pushed to a later date.
Bland Abavu came into the team as 18th man and rugby union convert Butler Morris made his debut on the left wing for the South Pacific Brewery-sponsored side.
The Capras also included former Agmark Gurias squad member Lance Kuveu in their final 17.
The Hunters struggled for fluency to their sets in the opening half at Browne Park in Rockhampton and halftime could not come quickly enough for Marum’s charges who trailed 20-4 in the Channel 9 (Imparja) televised game.
Capras fullback Reece Baker, who scored a double in the match, opened the scoring in the second minute, and his side added another three tries in the opening 40 minutes punctuated by an unconverted try to Hunters No.1 Stargroth Amean in the 26th minute.
William Cullen (13th min), Maipele Morseau (16th) and Kirisome Kirisome (35th) were the Capras other try-scorers.
Halfback Matt Minto with his old school toe-enders slotted two conversions. The inevitable fight-back took place in the second half with the Hunters scoring tries to co-captain Noel Zeming (42nd), Adex Wera (62nd) and Amean (65th) picking up his second while Zeming could only manage two conversions. 
The visitors drew level 20-20 with 15 minutes to go and Zeming, who could have put them in front, missed the conversion for Amean’s second four-pointer which was 12-metres in from the right touch line.
The final 10 minutes saw the Hunters push hard for the match-winner but were repelled by an equally determined Capras side.
Minto kicked a field goal under pressure to get his side to a 21-20 lead with seven minutes left.
Central Queensland sealed the match with a try in the 77th minute against the run of play with Baker defusing an Ase Boas bomb and breaking a tackle before racing 70m to score to the delight of the home fans. 
The Hunters, who dropped to third spot on the Intrust Super Cup ladder, have another arduous test this Saturday when they travel to Ipswich to play the Jets in their Round 12 fixture.
CQ Capras 27 (Reece Baker 2, William Cullen, Maipele Morseau, Kirisome Kirisome tries; Matthew Minto 3 con, field goal) PNG Hunters 20 (Stargroth Amean 2, Noel Zeming, Adex Wera tries; Zeming 2 con). 
Results: Q-Cup Round 11 – Sat, May 21: Jets 20 Tigers 52, Blackhawks 52 Mackay 8, Pride 8 Bears 24; Sun, May 22: Capras 27 Hunters 20, Dolphins 52 Devils 10, TH Seagulls 16 WM Seagulls 30, Falcons 16 Magpies 16. The National / PNG Today

Posted by Staff Reporter : PNG Today on 4:57 AM. Filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Share this Article


PNG eHow

Subscribe to Daily News

Enter your email address:

Delivered by PNG Today

© 2017 PNG Today . Powered by Blogger.