By Staff Reporter : PNG Today
MOBILE phone operator-Digicel has restored its servers after interruptions as a result of the bad weather that had been experienced in Port Moresby on Sunday. However, the firm’s managing director-mobile, Shivan Bharava said within 40 minutes of the outage, that 95percent of its services were restored.
Reports that had reached this paper were that one of the firm’s towers at Burns Peak had been damaged as a result of the storm. While some mobile users were affected, there were some who went on a frenzy, making use of the fault not to just make free calls but also download stuff which otherwise would have cost them.
“Digicel can confirm Sunday night’s major storm in Port Moresby impacted the fluctuation in PNG Power Limited (PPL) power, which affected mobile phone usage for some customers. “Within 40 minutes of this weather event, 95 per cent of our services were restored. “Our billing platform took a longer period to bring back up and we took a conscious decision to continue with the service provision to minimise any inconvenience to our valued customers,” the MD said.
“Importantly, Digicel will not charge its loyal customers for their free phone use on Monday,” Mr Bharava assured. He said this was an unexpected, one-off incident, adding that the firm apologised for any inconvenience caused. “Digicel always strives to provide excellent customer service and experiences to our consumers. Fortunately, there was no damage to any Digicel towers as a result of this storm,” he said.