Published On:
By Staff Reporter : PNG Today

Mt Hagen Eagles ban for three years for Rugby League Violence

No player or team official in-sighting violence on the field will be let go of easily, that’s the message from the PNG National Rugby League (PNGNRL) Board after banning the Mt. Hagen Eagles from the Digicel Cup Competition for three years.
According to the PNGNRL Board Administrator Mr. Stanley Hondina, the final decision came after a careful review of the semi- final match footage between the Agmark Rabaul Gurias and the Eagles in Port Moresby that resulted in a fight after the match when an Eagles team official attacked a referee on the field.
“The decision was severer because of the magnitude of the damages and the flow on effect the incident had,” said Hondina.
The other parts of the penalty include the team forfeiting its third place prize money of K20, 000 to cover the cost of damages done to facilities at the Sir John Guise Stadium.
The penalty also includes the life ban on the instigator of the clash, the Eagles team assistant trainer Mr. Stanley Akinu. He will not be involved in any Digicel Cup matches in the future. Also the two Eagles players suspended, Francis Ray and the Captain Junior Rau, were both given 10 years suspension each for their involvement.
Meanwhile, four Gurias players have also been given penalties, but much lighter. Francis Paniu, Samuel Hamari, Lucas Kapinias and Adrian Baungus were each given five match suspensions. This means they will not be playing with the team for the first five matches of the 2017 season only. They will return to join their team after the first five matches.
Pictures: Hagen Eagles players and Gurias on the field during the semi finals

Posted by Staff Reporter : PNG Today on 4:00 AM. Filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Share this Article


PNG eHow

Subscribe to Daily News

Enter your email address:

Delivered by PNG Today

© 2017 PNG Today . Powered by Blogger.