Header Ads

PNG Gerehu Residents Oppose Plan to Resettle Evicted Families

Papua New Guinea residents in Gerehu have voiced strong opposition to a proposed plan by city authorities to temporarily relocate evicted settlers from the 2-Mile and 4-Mile areas into the suburb, citing fears over safety and community stability.

The proposal, announced by National Capital District Governor Powes Parkop, involves setting up a temporary care centre in Gerehu to accommodate displaced families for up to six months while long-term resettlement arrangements are being finalised.

 PNG Gerehu Residents Oppose Plan to Resettle Evicted Families

Gerehu, one of Port Moresby’s largest suburbs, is also home to the active “Gerehu-for-Gerehu” (G4G) movement, a youth-led initiative that works closely with police to reduce crime and safeguard public areas such as the main bus stop and surrounding residential stages. Leaders of the group say the resettlement plan could undermine years of voluntary efforts to maintain order in the suburb.

Governor Parkop said the city administration had already secured land to support the temporary arrangement. “We have secured 10 hectares of land from the customary owners at Baruni,” he said. “The possibility to extend [the land] is there; we are in negotiations now. We are going to move all those evicted from 2-Mile and 4-Mile there as a temporary care center.”

He explained that the six-month timeframe is intended to allow authorities to complete proper planning for permanent housing solutions. According to the governor, instructions have been issued to accelerate land surveying and planning processes, particularly at Farea, where land has been earmarked for affordable housing.

“I've given direction to the City Manager and our team to ramp up the surveying, especially at Farea,” Parkop said. “For the land allocated for affordable housing, we can start to filter everyone there to ensure they have a better future that contributes to their well-being and the well-being of the city.”

However, members of the G4G movement have expressed concern that the relocation could increase pressure on community resources and reverse recent progress in reducing petty crime and improving neighbourhood safety.


In response to the growing concerns, a public forum has been scheduled for Saturday, February 21, in Gerehu, where residents are expected to share their views and seek clarification from officials. Representatives from the National Capital District Commission and police are expected to attend the meeting.

No comments

Thank you for visiting this web page. We would like to hear from you, feel free to comment below.

Powered by Blogger.